Friday 17 February 2023

Other Lives: The Inner World of a Multipotentialite

Zoë Hughes: clown, puppeteer... International Woman of Mystery...




Okay... maybe not mystery, (I will share my thoughts with *anyone,* you know this!) but certainly I gather its a mystery to most *how* and *why* on earth I do the things I do.

I believe its The Artists Way by Julia Cameron which contains an exercise called something like "Other Lives," which asks you to sit and list all the things you could have done in your life if money, time and age were no bounds.

In other words, what could imagine yourself doing in another life?

My answer is... most things! But mostly these:

Figure skater:

THE LEGS. That's almost all I need to say! I am blessed with relatively good legs, (I have always walked everywhere,) but DEM LEGS. Oof. Really, figure skating is beautiful. I once fractured my elbow ice skating. This will give you some idea of my real-life skill level...

Lawyer:

Seen me write an email? I feel like that's the only way to demonstrate this one. I have a very interrogative mind. I will find holes in anything/everything.* And I can be a bit of a git about it. In a useful way, I hope. Injustice ticks me right off, and advocating for people is a passion of mine. So I think I'd be somewhat happy living that law lyf. 

Disney Princess:

I really wanted to take French at school to actually be a Disney princess! Anyone who has witnesses my in-person physicality will find this a little funny, (I am a little squashier than Disney's princess requirements, and whilst I can perform elegance, I wouldn't have myself down as naturally elegant or princessy!) If I were to apply today I honestly bet I'd get Mickey. Actually I'd love that. Zero complaints here.

Professional ballroom dancer:

I actually used to ballroom dance as a child. Competitions and everything, (ooh!) My mum is a qualified dance teacher, my parents used to dance together. *I* decided I "didn't want to dance anyone elses steps!" a la Strictly Ballroom, (great film,) and quit. I could have been on Strictly by now. What a fool I am.

West End Musical Theatre Star:

Obviously. Anyone who's been in the house whilst I've been in the shower will be aware of this. Or been around me whilst I work. Or clean. Or generally exist. I sing *a lot.* And in many ways regret my socio-economic background not allowing for immediate drama school and success. But also, I get to be a clown so... its not all bad 🤡

So there's just five of my many other lives! I like to believe in the infinite alternate universe thing, and that I'm doing it all, every day. I'm on a beach, on a boat, on trial, on a stage, on a Disney carnival float, on the TV!

In my head I really am doing it all. And I enjoy it very much. Most importantly, I'm very happy with the external version of Zoë who, let's face it, could do anything if she really really put her mind to it. Was that a humblebrag? Stuff it, I'm standing by it. Ahhh growth.


Little Zoë of about 5ish is wearing a pink coloured dance dress which she holds at the edges and stands proudly and smiling.


*There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in.



No comments:

Post a Comment