Monday 17 December 2018

Pre - R & D Day 1: Holy Arts-Business, Batman!


What a day.

Madeleine spent a lot of today giving me a rip-roaring tour of funding, budgeting and making a show sustainable. After all, what use is a show if it disappears as quick as we've made it?

Money talk puts me way, way, way out of my comfort zone and is something I naturally shy away from, so I end today feeling a huge sense of achievement for writing... drumroll please...
A BUDGET! It took heaps of patience and talking through from Maddie, but still, a budget exists.

I learned some mighty sexy things about Excel shortcuts along the way. Yes, sexy, you read right.

I can one-hundred per cent see why this would be a great place to start. As an artist it doesn't feel like the most natural place, (I'm usually with the fluffy thinking and the dreaming,) but it's given us some really solid foundations to start making. It's also given me chance to take stock of how fortunate I am to have the support I already do, and helped me see where I need to go next.

We also spent some of today looking at the whats, whys, wheres, whos and whens, dug a little bit deeper into what I want to achieve and fleshed out what I believe to be my artistic identity. It's all very easy showing off in someone else's show, street character or act - but this is clown. It's just me. And the things that make me vulnerable and laughable. It's terrifying in a getting-on-the-best-but-most-dangerous-rollercoaster-in-the-world kind of way.

Tomorrow is setting some framework and measurable outcomes. How do we know what is progress and how do we record it? What is my way of working? How do I get from fluffy ideas to a solid outcome? And how do we know when it is good?

Play time.


No comments:

Post a Comment